Saturday, May 14, 2011

Orphan Summitt

We met with our homestudy coordinator on Wednesday and he was wonderful. He and his wife adopted a three year old boy from Korea 30 years ago. He went over some orientation items, our safety check list for our home, and gave us more paperwork to fill out (he said he didn't send it all at once because then it's really overwhelming). We meet with him again on June 8th for our home safety study, he said we weren't being graded on how clean our house was, darn :).

On Friday I went to the Orphans Summitt VII at Southeast Christian. I went to two sessions on having a multi-racial family. It was wonderful! In the second session there were three adults who were adopted by white parents, 2 South Koreans and 1 biracial from Detriot. They gave great insight and I realized Mike and I are "very white" (a term they used) and we are going to have to help our little guy understand and embrace his race and ethnicity. They did an exercise with beads, each color representing a race, with each question you were to put a bead in your cup (your race, your husbands, kids, doctor, pediatrician, neighbor, boss at work, hairdresser, etc)... then you put your adopted childs race in the cup. I got a little choked up when I put the little guys in because he was the only non-white bead. We have got to do better and I'm going to need some advice on how to do this better. The picture of my cup is below, can you see his black bead in the center...



After the seminar I went to Mimi's Cafe to meet with other America World families and people that work at America World. The creator of the agency was there, it was neat to meet him, you see him in the intro video but meeting him and thanking him for what he's done means much more. About 40 were there including families and employees, it renews your paperchasing spirit to talk with others that are doing the same or have already been there.



On a non-adoption note Samuel ran his first 5K this Saturday and I ran with him. He did great and never walked once. We finished at 29:55, he finished two seconds before me because that is what moms do, he said all week he was going to beat me and he did.


8 comments:

  1. Erin,First time I've read your blog. I am excited for you about your family's adoption of this lucky little boy. Sounds like you are getting ready for a life change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to get to know you! Excited to follow you on your journey. Your family will be in our prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited about the work we have ahead of us making our new grandson welcome to our family.

    Glad I don't have to run in the 5K with you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know your family did not jump into this without much soul searching and prayer. Therefore I have no doubts that your family's life is going to be blessed in more ways than you can begin to imagine, as we all know "red and yellow black and white, they are precious in his sight".
    MLM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well don't worry, one of these adam and i will add a little black bead to the mix!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Erin,
    Thank you so much for visiting our blog! If you have any questions about our experiences with adopting a child in the 3-5 year age range, please feel free to email me: rtoney_2000@yahoo.com
    We will be praying for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Erin,

    Great to see you again at the AWAA dinner in Louisville! Look forward to following along as we both paperchase and wait for our children!

    *karen
    http://thefamilyb.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - the Summit sounded great so sad that I missed it! One home study visit down - Yeah!

    ReplyDelete